Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hot Buttered Rum

The Story
 
Last year, my friend Marsha gave us a pint of rum and a jar of hot-buttered rum mix.  She also included the recipe in the package. We did some traveling immediately after the holidays last year, though, and the mix found its way to the back of the refrigerator, where it's hidden for over a year. We finally unearthed the jar and took it to a dinner party with four friends this past Sunday, and the resulting concoction won acclaim all around. It's a great drink for a winter cocktail party, trimming the Xmas tree, or lazing around on a cold winter's day.

I decided to share the recipe with my sister for a party we're having at her place over the holidays, so I typed it up and emailed her. Then I began thinking about a couple other recipes I needed to take with me as well. If I'm doing all this typing, I thought, I may as well put these in a place that I can access regularly and share with friends when they ask for the recipe.  So, for better or worse, this drink gave birth to this blog.

What you'll need
1 lb butter, melted
1 lb powdered sugar
1 lb dark brown sugar
1 cup vanilla ice cream
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp all spice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon 

Preparation
Sift both sugars into melted butter
Pour over vanilla ice cream
Add eggs and vanilla
Mix spices and add
Mix well
Store in fridge 

Serving
Place 2 tsp mix + 1 jigger rum in a mug
Fill cup with hot water and stir
Sprinkle with nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment