Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wine-poached Pears

The Story

My sister Sarah gave me this recipe some time ago, and I've made it on a number of occasions. It's one of my favorite types of recipes: it takes little time and effort but the resulting product looks impressive and tastes even better. I've included a nice studio photo I stole from the web, but mine look just as lovely. This is a great option for a relatively low-calorie, light dessert that pairs (or pears?) well with after dinner-liqueurs and coffee.

What you'll need
Bosc pears--1 per person (I've used the recipe for 4,6, or 8 people)
1 Bottle of cheap dry red wine (I use a bottle of 2-Buck Chuck Merlot or Cab)
6 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 lemon, sliced
1 orange peel
2 cinnamon sticks
1 whole star anise
Candied ginger, chopped

Preparation
  • Peel the pears and rub them with lemon; squeeze lemon into pan (below)
  • In a pan large enough to fit all pears but small enough for liquid to mostly cover them, mix all ingredients except pears and bring to a boil
  • Simmer liquid for 10 minutes
  • Add pears and bring to a boil
  • Simmer 40 minutes, rolling pears as needed for even color
  • Remove pears
  • Simmer remaining liquid until it forms a syrup

Presentation Place each pear on dessert dish
Drizzle syrup over pear
Garnish with chopped candied ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment